Welcome to our community for improving STEM persistence in rural first-generation college students.
Save the date for the First2 Spring Conference, May 13-14, 2020
The First2 conference is a great opportunity to network, learn about emerging best practices, spend quality time with first-gen students, and get involved in the hands-on work of the First2 Network. Conference information here.
First2 featured on the INCLUDES National Blog
The Network Spotlight blog post is live on the national website! Thanks for the opportunity to contribute to the national conversation around Strengthening Capacity to Implement Culturally Responsive Practices, exploring issues related to the intersectionality of social, economic, and environmental dynamics, and culturally responsive practices effective for broadening participation in STEM. This Network Spotlight highlights one of the presenters, Sarah Riley of the First2 Network.
Evaluation Reports Shows Summer Immersion Experience Build Student Confidence
After participating in First2 Network summer internships, students feel more confident in their ability to do well in STEM courses! To learn more, read the evaluation from our first year of operation: https://first2network.org/resources/41/supportingdocs
Student Opportunities for First Generation STEM Majors
The First2 Network believes that STEM majors should be able work within their STEM field while in college rather than taking on unrelated jobs that steal time away from the college experience. We have some opportunities to jump-start your authentic STEM research experience as a rising freshman, AND offer continued support doing research or vital work to improve STEM education systems in West Virginia:
- We have paid leadership opportunities for first generation students in our network. Be a mentor to younger students; Do outreach to your hometown high schools, boards or education and others. Interested in learning more about ALL of our opportunities for undergraduates? Check out the details here!
- We have summer internship opportunities for rising college freshmen! Learn more here.
- Travel support is available for participants in the First2 Network. To learn more and apply, use the following link: Travel Application Request
- If you are not a student and you are interested in getting involved, we would love to include you. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email Erica Harvey directly at email@example.com.
- If you are already a registered user, be sure to check out the First2 Network group pages for additional information.