First2 Network understands the power of early research experiences and engagement within a STEM community of practice to motivate STEM students to persist in their STEM majors. We also know that sustained engagement of First2 students with other First2 students is critical to their success as STEM majors, For 2022 we are combining these two important elements into one application so that students have a seamless experience between summer research internships and the academic year campus clubs. If you are a higher education institution planning to host a summer research site we expect that you will also outline your 2022 plans for a campus club, and that you will name a campus support team in your application.
We hope this will streamline the process for your campus, and to that end we have made the application process simpler. For example, this year you do not have to include a detailed schedule for the summer research experience in the application. This can be developed later as part of the work you will do alongside other sites.
The Summer Research Internship is, generally, a two-week duration residential summer internship for rising freshmen at higher ed and industry institutions across the state. These internships target first generation STEM students and other under-represented students in STEM. As a summer research site, you will host a student cohort of 5-10 students or more. Older undergraduate students– most likely First2 Student Leaders–will support your efforts to plan a successful program and will mentor the 2022 student cohort in many important ways.
A First2 Campus Club is a student led club at your campus that is mentored by a STEM faculty advisor. First2 students govern activities of the club that always includes fellowship, and may include group study and tutoring, and outreach to other students, campus decision makers, state decision makers or to younger students considering STEM careers.
A Campus Support Team is a cross-sector group of adultier adults on your campus who can make a positive impact on your students’ success. Members can be STEM faculty, Department chairs, student support services and advising representatives, deans and others.
Your site will:
- Recruit first generation and other underrepresented students who are majoring STEM to participate the summer before their freshman year begins in order to maximize their success in college;
- Sign a memorandum of understanding with First2 Network to participate in the First2 Network;
- Participate in the recruitment , selection, supervision and evaluation of older students who will serve as planning partners and mentors before and during the summer research internship;
- Develop and supervise immersive research experiences for rising freshmen;
- Develop and maintain a budget and coordinate logistics for your site;
- Participate in regular meetings with the Immersive Experiences Working Group to learn First2 promising practices as a starting point for customizing your own program;
- Collaborate to improve the internship experience for First2 students through iterative testing and documenting of change ideas;
- Participate in First2 conferences to share your experience and learn from others;
- Provide a final report within 15 days of the conclusion of your program;
- Sustain the engagement of student interns by supporting academic year campus clubs at your institution.
- Gather people at your campus that can have a positive impact on your students’ success to form a support team, and establish methods of working together to address obstacles to persistence for STEM students.
How to Apply
Attend an Informational Session
October 26, 2021
This session will explain the proposal process in more detail including proposal elements, and evaluation criteria. In addition, you will have the opportunity to ask questions of faculty who have hosted summer research internships in the past. Check the Events link on the website for Zoom connection information. Direct any questions to Sarah Riley at sarah-at-highrocks.org
Technical Support Session
November 12, 2021, 2-3 PM
First2 Staff will be “in the office” to help you with any questions you have as you work on your proposal. Pop in at any time during the hour for some personalized assistance.
Check the RFP or the Events link on the website for Zoom connection information.
Submit a full proposal
Deadline: December 10, 2021
Updated Request for Proposal. Proposals will include letters of commitment from the institution, plans for undergraduate mentor roles, proposed budget, plans for housing and meals, and a history of involvement with First2 Network or evidence of alignment with its mission and goals. The letter of commitment should be signed by the College Dean, Provost, or President.
Note: Programs on each site will be considered programs of that institution, and the institution will be named as an official FIrst2 Network partner. As programs of each institution, the institution’s liability insurance will cover the program, and the program will adhere to any other compliance requirements of the institution. We welcome supplemental funding from your institution to support additional students beyond what First2 can afford. Supplemental funding may be necessary, depending on actual costs at the institution.
The First2 Network will provide support to successful sites for the following (See Budget Template for current funding levels)
- room and board during the internship;
- 2-3 older undergraduate student mentors who will assist with planning and be active mentors during the internship (average based on 10 students/site);
- funding for recreational/team building activities
- $100/student for summer internship lab supplies
- An honorarium to recognize the work and effort of the summer site lead and supporting faculty.
- Mentorship and training to undergraduate mentors and faculty in setting up your program.
- Funds to support a campus club and $500 to honor a club advisor willing to test and document best practices of their club.
Request for Proposal Complete instructions for completing your proposal.
Example Proposal from 2020 NB: There may be additional sections in this year’s proposal. Thank you, Marshall, for sharing!
2020 Summer Research Resource. Sample schedule, research project descriptions and external evaluation
Developed with our 2020 mentors, this is an invaluable collection of materials to help you plan an excellent First2 internship.