First2 Network Alliance Application Information
INTERESTED IN BEING PART OF OUR NETWORK?
We are always looking for motivated students and professionals who are passionate about youth leadership and currently have opportunities open for rising college freshmen (students who will begin their freshman year of college in the Fall of 2019) and other undergraduates currently enrolled in college.
First2 Network does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender or gender identity, age, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation.
INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY FOR RISING COLLEGE FRESHMEN:
If you are a senior in high school, (or nontraditional student preparing to go to college) who:
- will be a first generation college student (A first-generation college student is defined as a student for whom neither parent/guardian has graduated from a 4-year institution. You can be a first generation student even if your siblings have graduated from college.)
- is planning to major in a science, technology, engineering or math related field,
then you are in the right place! We are seeking rising freshmen who will be enrolled in a West Virginia community college, or 4-year college in the fall of 2019 have the opportunity to join a program designed to support rural, first generation students majoring in STEM fields.
You will become part of a community of students who are like you, so that you are not going through this experience alone. West Virginia and the Nation need more STEM professionals, but completing a STEM course of study can be challenging. The First2 Network is a growing group of professors, state officials and students like you who want to enhance your success in STEM during the first two years of college. We ask you to join us in building a better environment for STEM students, and to be an advocate and leader in your hometown by encouraging future STEM students in your community.
By completing this application you are agreeing, if accepted, to join the First2 Network and:
- participate in an all-expenses paid two-week STEM research internship in summer of 2019
- participate in our educational research study
- depending on your level of participation, you may be awarded up to $600.00, and travel support to present at a STEM conference.
You will also be offered the opportunity to:
- participate in immersive programs that are designed to help you succeed. This may include online meetings during the 2019-2020 academic year that will provide a forum for discussion, problem solving and skill development
- become a hometown STEM ambassador by visiting your hometown community in the 2019-20 academic year
- join academic year research programs to begin or continue research activities
- participate in professional meetings
To apply please click here
The First2 Network is accepting applications for student leadership positions. Preference is given to first-generation college students who are taking classes in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
Students may apply for one or any combination of these leadership positions described below including:
- Student Network Member
- Student Network Leader
- Student Network Intern
- Internship Planning Coordinator and Internship Research Mentor
- Internship Research Mentor
- Student Lead Coordinator
STUDENT NETWORK INTERNS (NOW-AUGUST 2019)
TRAVEL PAID, BUT NO STIPEND – 8 STUDENTS
- Work with the student leadership team at every step, learning the ropes while following along. Students who intern with the paid student leadership team will receive valuable training and opportunities that will make them VERY competitive applicants for the First2 student leadership jobs when they come open. This is also an excellent leadership development and resume-building opportunity.
INTERNSHIP RESEARCH MENTOR ROLES AT 2-WEEK SUMMER RESEARCH INTERNSHIPS FOR RISING FRESHMAN
$900 STIPEND – 5 STUDENTS, 1-2 PER LOCATION.
- 9 students will be hired as research mentors to participate in research and serve as near- peer-mentors to younger students who are beginning their journey with college during a 2-week immersive research internship.
- Internship dates for each location are as follows:
- WVSU:July 14-26, 2019
- WVU: July 14-26, 2019